2.5 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup water
1/2 stick of butter or margarine
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients – all-purpose flour, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and instant yeast in a bowl. Mix thoroughly so that all ingredients are blended well.
- Add the butter or margarine to the bowl and begin to mix in the dry ingredients into with your hands. The mixture should still be dry but a little thicker after thoroughly mixing in butter or margarine.
- Add water to mixture and begin kneading for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes a smooth dough like ball. Set dough aside in a bowl covered with cling wrap and keep in dry area for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the bowl and cut into 6-9 pieces or as many as desired (be cautious though that balls too large may not cook properly in the pan – the smaller the size, the better it will cook)! Roll pieces into balls and set aside.
- Heat a pan of oil on medium heat and add dough balls into pan when hot. Turn balls on each side until they become a golden brown color. Remove the donuts from pan once it is completely golden brown. Set on a paper towel to pat excess oil off.
- (Optional) – add powdered sugar to top off the donuts and enjoy!